Wednesday, October 27, 2010

To Be Acknowledged ...

Earlier today while I was at work, I was caught off guard by a beautifully written blog post about me...and I rushed to the bathroom to cry.  I wasn't having a bad day, it was going quite well actually, but it just meant the world to me.  Not that I am short of appreciation from the people that love me, but this post moved me because it was out of nowhere.  This is the result of a friendship that has been as steady as a winter day in Alaska.

This doesn't take away from any of the love and support I have received from anybody else.  In general, I am facing many tough obstacles, so, yes, this does give me quite the needed boost.  Right now as I type this, I am teary eyed and listening to Sade.  lol Typical me.

I don't want to type too much about myself before I ruin the moment...however, I want to say that relationships are what keep your soul alive.  Whether it be with yourself, religion, friends, lovers or whoever makes you happy, make it a point to let them know how important they are to you.  Its powerful stuff.

Gratitude is a gift that you should give to the people who sustain you.

Rob Herring, we really have grown a lot and have watched each other become men.  No words in this post can contain the love and appreciation that I have for you.  You have been my cheerleader at every corner, milestone, low, and high since we have met.  I have never ever had to ask you for anything..it has always been automatic.

thank you for your friendship.

This is the post that Rob wrote for me:

 "Much can be said for the way today's communicative mediums have eroded the interpersonal engagement - but about a decade ago that's how I met one of my closest friends.  I guess something can be said for fate as well - but through the course of years we have managed to work & maintenance quite the friendship. New aged city mouse & country southern mouse - Mikey was this gateway to something broader, imaginative - passionately creative; strengths of my own whose surfaces I had barely even scraped at that time.  Fast forwarding through the years there were probably thousands of instant messages, one checking on the other - another zillion texts to share an occasional laugh or advice sessions - & an infinite number of "talk me off of the ledge" late night phone calls.  Often times we don't take the time to watch people grow - but I've been privy to not only witness Mikey grow, I've been lucky to grow along side him in a similar direction.
          Recently I watched Mikey brave through one of the toughest periods I have seen him endure to date - & then I watched the inevitable bounce back, phoenix from ashes, Britney Spears "Stronger" & shit.  Now I see Mikey settling into his routine & being reminded again - of how much more he wants from this life, from it's passions, & from its wealth of teachings & opportunities.  It was a message I wanted to offer to my friend, as a friend - especially now in this season where it can be received & in effort to prepare him for his next obstacle.  Someone imparted this to me recently & I thought to pass it on, because as complicated & layered as we are, this antidote was from a simple perspective endowed by wisdom which can only be garnered through trial, error, age & or experience.  I was at my job one day, fatigued with the routine, unsettled by the direction of my life as of late & frustrated trying to snatch back the reigns -  It was there lamenting & discussing this stalemate dilemma with a colleague, that's well over twice my senior, that I was given this a caveat that she received from her life coach - "...my dear, this is just a lily pad for you."  She fleshed out for me this theory of transition & she started with telling me that I was preparing to take my next leap - & when you leap, you need somewhere to land until the next leap - another lily pad.
          Each stage in life is this transitional building block that gives you some haven, or teaching point - to better equip you for the next stage.  Depending on your growth in this life there can be tons of these transitional periods - but no matter how good or bad, they are always - temporary.  So back to Mikey, even now coming into everything with the new job & the website (www.streetwalkersnyc.com) *shameless plug* there's still this hunt for more.  We have even discussed this, its like there's this invisible hour glass somewhere guarded by ninjas hyped up on meth, & where racing against time, running over glass in stripper heels.  Even still, even this season - yea the one we're currently in where we are waiting to breakthrough to doing whatever it is we love - yea, its just another lily pad as well.  So let's take some time, slow down, learn what were suppose to be learning & build for the next leap so that we when land its somewhere worth building.

Ten years strong - love you Mikey."



2 comments:

Madam Moonchild said...

That was a sweet post! It is nice to have good friends in your corner! You have had a tough go and you have stuck it out. So proud of you!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet post

I always enjoy reading this blog. Can I ask what type of camera you use when out at events, the photos you take are great. Also, is it the same you use for photos you take of yourself from older posts?