Saturday, November 22, 2008

Not in love anymore

I had a conversation with my sister the other day and I came to the conclusion that I most likely will never fall in love again. And you know what? I am OK with that. There comes a certain feeling of freedom when you let go of that programmed thought of meeting your "soul mate." There is a hint of sadness..i think or maybe its disappointment. Not sure, but what I am sure of is that being in love isn't for everybody. So to understand and believe that, I fully understand that I am most likely going to be apart of that group of people that will not be married or have some kind of lifetime partner. 

I firmly believe that to love somebody the right way, to be in a relationship that will last, you need to be a whole person. You need to give yourself whole heartedly to the next person and surrender all that you have. You have to contribute to that person and vice versa. Although I am happy with who I am, I know that I have a long way to go and really, I am not getting any younger. 

So love is something I am sure will pass me by. I loved before, but it was short term and not meant to be. So, I at least know the joys of it. I also don't want children. So, yeah...I am letting it all go. I haven't felt lonely in close to 3 years now and I can't imagine why I would need to feel that way again. Been there done that.

On the flip side, I am not denying myself the joy and blessing of being in love with somebody, but I am not holding my breath.  Again, I believe in love, but I do not believe it is meant for everybody. Especially for me. 

I'll cross my fingers for you. ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike- I know it sounds hokey but what you believe you will receive. I think you covered this train of thought in your blog. So I'm glad you're remaing open to love. You're right it's not for everybody, I've learned that there are even different ways to love someone while still being "in love." It's by design really.
Have a good one.