Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

If you plan to see this movie do not read this. Im gonna spill it all out because I can't hold it in anymore! I saw this movie twice back to back. I saw it on Sunday and then on Monday. I went twice because the first time I saw it I was alone and I had to see it with somebody else the second day so that I could share the beauty of this masterpiece. Don't get me wrong, its not the best movie I have ever seen, but it is damn close to it. Its basically a story of 2 young cowboys who meet each other at a somewhat job interview for some sheep hearding job. Being that they are the only ones that show up they get the job and start it the very next morning. Their job is basically to watch the sheep on Brokeback Mountain so that predators don't kill them. They have to do this for the whole summer and in 1963 there were no sidekicks, ipods or gameboys so you can imagine how that shit could be. As time goes by and they get to know each other a bit more, they begin to have this best friend type of chemistry. I honestly beleive they were both gay the whole time, but Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) seemed to be dying to come out of his shell.

As a matter of fact if it wasnt for Jack this story never would have taken place. Enis Delmar (Heath Ledger) was one of them men that prolly would be curious till the day he died if there wasnt any intervention. One night after getting pissy drunk (what else would they do?) they end up sleeping next to each other and in the middle of the night the sparks unexpectedly went off. It was a dramatic sex scene...not too graphic...but it was enough. After that night they pretty much gave into temptation. Enis said that this a "one shot deal," and also said "I aint queer" meaning I aint no fag but I'll fuck you up the ass while there aint nobody else around. Sounds like a jail story huh? Anyhoo, by the time they leave Brokeback Mountain they have built quite a bond that niether of them would dare admit.

Four years later, both married with children, they end up meeting up again and start sneaking behind their wives backs so that they can relive what they had on the mountain. It was love. It really was..but Enis would not let it go further then their rendevouz because he didnt want to break up his family. Which ended up happeneing anyways because his wife knew the whole time. Their love affair went on for about 20 years. The last time they saw each other Jack let Enis know that he is pretty much at the end of his rope and that he misses Enis so much sometimes he doesnt know what to do with himself. My heart really went out to him because it just seemed like such a real situation in this gay lifestyle. All that seceret shit can really bring a man to his knees. They get into this arguement and I guess leave things the way they are.

Flash forward a few months and Jack is dead. Yes...Jack is dead and Enis has to live without him. If you ask me Jack was Enis's true love. I felt a lot of sorrow for Enis because he was a stubborn man that let life pass him by because he refused to change.

The acting was great. Heath Ledger was AWSOME to say the least. he made me believe it...trust. Jake was really good too...I fell in love with his eyes and pretty lips in this movie. Michelle Williams (Alma) as Enis's wife was perfect. I am mos def going to watch out for her. I absolutely love this movie. Finally a classy movie with gay men who love each other. This movie makes me wish it were a true story so that I could cry about it. LOL Go watch it...if anyting go see it for a beautiful love story.


Enis Del Mar and Jack "Nasty" Twist


Enis Del Mar and Alma

1 comment:

William Wilson said...

Good review. I spoiled it and read it for myself... then again Ang Lee is a great director so I forgive myself. Not a gay man, and of course love is not a crime and always beautiful. Ang Lee deserves great credit (in advance of seeing it).